Article by: Charles Yamabe
The first time I attended Hangout Festival I deemed it as one of my favorites. Hangout is ideally located on the beach in sunny Gulf Shores Alabama. While the rest of the Northern U.S. is just starting to wake up from winter, the warmth and sunshine is in full effect down South. What better way to welcome spring than on a beach with great music and great vibes. Here’s what I liked about Hangout (full disclosure I had the Super VIP package.)
1. You’re on the beach! With the regular wristband you get limited ocean access. I say limited because it’s kind of a one in one out sort of situation. If you’re Super VIP you get unlimited access to the ocean.
2. The crowds I found were pretty civil and overly nice. You don’t typically find this at a lot of festivals. You get a good helping of Southern charm due to festival goers from surrounding states flooding the area. You also get a good helping of people from thr Notrhern states that come to thaw out… Which means they are there to have a good time!
3. The weather is usually pretty accommodating. Some years you might get a little rain but it typically doesn’t last very long. For the most part it’s warm weather and sunny skies.
4. Typically Hangout brings a pretty eclectic group of musicians to perform. This year seems to stick with that common theme.
5. The layout is spread out enough that the music doesn’t overlap. There are different sections with two main stages, a smaller stage, and an electronic area. You have the choice of walking the long way down the beach or wrapping around on the asphalt. (And what’s better than a walk on the beach?)
6. This is just for those with VIP (which I recommend.) At some festivals VIP is just a viewing area. Typically that viewing area is further away then you would actually want to be. At Hangout you not only get an elevated close viewing stage but you also get a viewing area close to the stage right on the beach. When entering you have your own express entry gate and private air conditioned bathrooms. The coolest part though is the poolside viewing deck. You can sit in the pool with a cocktail in hand while watching your favorite artist perform. If you opt for the Super VIP you get free cocktails, cold tubs (hot tubs with no heat), elevated viewing area, snack/food options, and all of the amenities of VIP.
Hangout Fest this year is taking place May 17-19, and tickets go on sale this Tuesday, December 4th at 10AM CST. http://www.hangoutmusicfest.com/tickets/
Here’s the entire lineup in alphabetical order:
GANG OF YOUTHS
JIMMY EAT WORLD
JUDAH & THE LION
THE BAND CAMINO
THE RED CLAY STRAYS
WALK THE MOON